Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Kind of Mom My Kids Deserve



The Kind of Mom My Kids Deserve
Between my experiences as a graduate student in early childhood, to a preschool teacher, and as a mom, I’ve had more than a handful of parenting philosophies and approaches. I recently realized that while my research and approaches on parenting were valuable, I was missing a major piece. I primarily was focusing on how I wanted to be a parent without giving much thought of what type of mom I wanted my children to have. While the shift in semantics may be slight, it gives a vastly different perspective on parenting.
I want my children to have a mom that lights up every time she sees them after a separation.
I want my children to have a mom that frequently says YES to them (within reason!).
I want my children to have a silly mom who rolls with them on the floor and does weird dances.
I want my children to have a mom that laughs.
I want my children to have a mom that gets on their level and plays.
I want my children to have a mom that sings (albeit terribly).
I want my children to have a mom that looks them in their eyes and connects with them regularly.
I want my children to have a mom that celebrates who they are, not who I want them to be.
I want my children to have boundaries and consequences for poor behavior, but have a mom who tells them the feelings behind the behavior are okay.
I want my children to have a mom that reads them the same truck book 100 times.
I want my children to have a mom that lets them splash in the bath.
I want my children to have a mom that has picnics with them.
I want my children to have a mom that really listens.
I want my children to have a mom that lets them get dirty sometimes.
I want my children to have a mom that shares their enthusiasm for their latest obsession.
I want my children to have a mom that lets them cry.
I want my children to know their mom is always on their team. No matter where they are and who is watching.

My children deserve to have that mom and that is my primary “philosophy”.

No comments:

Post a Comment